International Flights to Samoa
International airlines fly direct to Samoa from New Zealand, Australia, Fiji and American Samoa. The Faleolo International Airport is on the island of Upolu; around 15 km to the south east of Savaii.
Ferry to Savaii
- If you are planning to Transit across to Savaii directly off your international flight, a regular ferry service runs between the islands between the hours of 6am and 4pm from Monday to Saturday ,with 2sailings only on Sundays. See Domestic Sailing Schedule for up-to-date sailing times between Mulifanua Wharf in Upolu and Salelologa Wharf in Savai'i.
- Mulifanua Wharf is just a 5 minute drive south of Faleolo International Airport on Upolu (turn right on exiting the airport) and around 45 minutes to 1 hour’s drive if you are coming from the city of Apia. Taxi fare is approximately $15.00 give or take from the airport (although confirming a rate near this is best done before hoping into your cab is sensible!) or approximately $70 from downtown Apia.
- Buses to the wharf depart from Sogi Bus Terminal in Apia around 2 hours before the ferry and cost $4. Catch the Pasi-O-Vaa bus which is parked at the far western end of the terminal and tends to be pretty packed on weekends .
- Passenger tickets are purchased from the ticket booth in the middle of the main wharf terminal (it opens about 20 minutes before the ferry leaves). Tickets are not available on line or through prepuchase systems. They are basically sold over the counter on the day of travel like movie tickets (in the old days!) If travelling from Mulifanua, tickets can also be purchased from the information office before each crossing. They are $12 tala per adult and $6 tala per child under 12 yrs
- Rental cars can be taken on the ferry and pre-booking is a must for cars; your rental car company can organise this for you or this can be booked in advance upon your arrival, at the main Samoa Shipping office in Town (Matautu area)
- Cars should be in the queue 1 hour before ferry departures. Ferries usually depart on time or even a few minutes early.
- For more information on sailing times and details see www.samoashipping.com